Thursday, November 13, 2008

Wake Forest University

I woke up the next morning at Wake Forest, which was much more appealing out the window compared to WVU.  The show tonight was going to be in an old chapel in the middle of campus.  It looked really pretty from the outside.  Josh told me that we were going to set our eco-village right outside the entrance.  I checked it out and we had an awesome spot right in front of the large chapel, which was right on the green.  The sun slowly started peaking out of the clouds while we set up and it felt like a great fall day.  I walked around campus and this was another really pretty campus.  I think I rank it just under Emory.  All the buildings were older brown brick, and the insides looked new and updated. 

So yesterday I think I forgot to say that we added five new guys to our bus.  The opening act called Virginia Coalition who was opening for OAR for the last half of the tour.  We were now sharing our bus with them.  All of us had a little reorganization to do before they got on, because before we had our large bags in an empty bunk and we would just take clothes out of there and put it in our day bags to go get changed or shower somewhere.  Now we had to make room under the bus for our bags and keep our day bags in our bunks with us.  I did manage to snag a drawer to fit all my shoes so I didn’t have to worry about that.  The VACO guys seemed nice but things were going to be a lot more crowded because all 12 bunks were now full. 

I got back to the bus, after finishing setting up the tents, and the VACO guys were playing football and heading to try and kick field goals on the field right by the bus.  I don’t think I have ever really tried to kick a field goal, and being a soccer player I was interested to try.  I threw on some sneakers and kicked some field goals with the guys.  It took me a few tries to put some arch on it, vs kicking it like a soccer shot.  But I impressed the guys and made a few about 20 yd field goals.  That was about as far as I could kick.

After that I waited a while for some ice so I could get my products cold for sampling later.  Once I got the products on ice Vanessa and I heard that there was a Starbucks on campus and decided we would go find it to get some coffee.  As the day went on it started to get a little colder, and cloudy, so we just prayed that it wouldn’t rain.  There is nothing worse than being cold and wet.  On our walk back we heard from Elliott that the head woman running the WFU show, Cathy, had suggested that some of us go check out Campus Kitchens.  Which was and organization on campus where the dining hall donated their left over food, and students volunteered to prepare the left over food and serve it to different soup kitchens around the area.  Cathy thought it would be good to go over and talk to these students about the Campus Consciousness Tour and especially the humanitarian issues it concerns, because the environmental and humanitarian issues really go hand in hand.  I brought a case of Silk with me to donate, and we ended up helping them prepare food for an hour.  The volunteers were starting to prepare a Thanksgiving meal for about 80 people, so Vanessa and I hopped in and were assigned to make some stuffing.  It was really fun to talk the students to see why they were volunteering and help them out a little.

We would have helped for longer but we had to head back to the eco-village and meet our volunteers.  I grabbed a few layers from the bus because it was a little chilly and then met my awesome volunteers.  So far I have been really lucky and have had awesome people helping me.  People that are really upbeat and are good at handing out samples, because it’s not such a good job for people who are introverted or shy.  I even snapped some pictures of them drinking Silk, it was so good they had two while they were volunteering!  Tonight I also noticed that a lot more guys were telling me that they loved Silk.  I didn’t even really have to coarse them to try it, everyone was really willing to give it a shot.  Most of the guys at past shows that have come up to me and told me they like Silk but because they are lactose intolerant.  Tonight a guy told me, I’m not even lactose intolerant but they sell this in the student center and I always buy two to drink while I study.  I thought that was awesome that they sell the single serves because they are perfect portable size to people take with them while they find a place to study.

After packing up our village, I checked out the show and it was awesome because I got right up front, next to the stage.  Some venues its been hard to get a good view but this one show I had the opportunity to take some awesome pictures, including some great close ups!  I got a few smiles and waves from the guys while they were playing, it seemed they were happy I was watching the show.

After the show all I wanted to do that night was to relax and watch Almost Famous.  I had bought it a few days prior in WVU because before I left for tour everyone said I had to watch it, especially because I had never seen it before.  Josh, Elliott and some other people on the bus said it was a really good movie too, so I decided I should buy it.  I agree with everyone it was a really good movie, I enjoyed it!  But once it was over all I wanted to do was go to bed.

I was so excited to get to UD the next day!  A chance to see a lot of my friends that were still there, because I missed homecoming a few weeks back.  The bus was traveling through the night and were going to wake up at the hotel.  Then we had Thursday night off, and the show is Friday, so a lot of time to hang out and show everyone what an awesome school Delaware was.

No comments: