Saturday, November 15, 2008

University of Delaware

We got to the Hilton in Newark, DE early the next morning and when I woke up our room keys were already lined up on the counter of the front of the bus.  I grabbed my key and some clothes for the next few days and headed up to the room.  Usually I try and pack clothes in my day bag for a few days so I don’t have to continually pull my bag out from underneath the bus.  The hotel was really nice, I have stayed there before, but it’s funny to me that the really nice hotels don’t have any complimentary coffee out or anything.  I have gotten used to the Hampton Inn coffee all day in the lobby and continental breakfast, because for the most part that is where we have stayed on this trip. 

I made a few calls to some friends who were still at Delaware, to see what everyone’s plans were for the night.  Everyone came to pretty much to the same consensus of watching the Pats vs Jets game and then going to Deer Park Tavern to listen to Kristen and the Noise, a pretty good cover band that usually plays at Deer Park on Thursday nights.  I did have some things on my list to do when I got back including grabbing nachos and a margarita at Sante Fe, my favorite place on campus.  When I went to school I would eat at Sante Fe at least a once a week.  Then Erin is a vegan and there is a pretty good restaurant on campus known for its vegan options, so I thought it would be cool to eat there for dinner.

My roommate Katie is finishing up her last semester at UD so I was really happy I was going to get to spend some time with her.  She had class from 2-8 that day but after that she came and met us for dinner at Home Grown, the vegan place.  The rest of the night was pretty fun.  The football game was a great close game to watch, and Deer Park was just like another Thursday night, however with a lot less people that I knew there, a decent amount of our friends have graduated.  It felt good to be back though.

The next day was the show.  I had some time in the morning, and decided I would try and shower and do a load of laundry at Katie’s place.  It was also Elliott’s 25th birthday and his favorite kind of cake is funfetti, so I thought it would be nice to make him a funfetti cake.  I had a lot of things to do and not a whole lot of time before the town hall forum at 1pm to do them.  Katie picked me up and we quickly stopped at Acme bout some stuff to make the cake, got to her place and made the cake while throwing in my laundry and throwing the cake in the oven.  Hopped in the shower and then checked the cake in the oven.  I was extremely productive in that hour, but the cake still had to be cooled and iced, and laundry thrown in the dryer.  Katie said she could do this for me, after she had class and I had the town hall forum.  I guess that’s what good friends are for.

The forum was really appealing to me because I had never been involved in anything like this on campus before.  I wanted to see what types of clubs were on campus and what types of things they did.  I talked for a while with some really nice girls about how they liked Delaware and I came to find out that Delaware as a state is trying to build a wind farm somewhere down by Rehobeth beach.  The students on campus have been trying to get the University involved with that, and possible offsetting a lot of their energy to the development.  This obviously caught my attention because Silk offsets all of their energy to wind energy.  I think I would actually enjoyed to be part of this group, if I knew about it, while I was a student.  They do fun things like go camping, next week they were organizing a clothing swop, and some other events that caught my interest.  This trip overall is making me a lot more aware of even just the small things people can do to improve the environment.  It is a serious issue and if people were just a little bit more in tune with the things they use and waste, that awareness could go a long way.

For the rest of the day I did the usual…finding out where I could get ice, set up the table, get the products off the bus and what not.  I told Katie she should come drop off the cake and my laundry and eat dinner with us provided by catering.  We all waited around the bus for her because Elliott had no idea I made him a cake and we were going to surprise him.  She ended up just dropping the cake off and because she still had some things to do and get ready to come to the show. 

The show that night was crazy!  I went through samples really really quickly based on just the sure volume of people coming to the show.  I would have continued to put more and more samples out but I had to ration myself to make sure I have enough for the next two shows.  We had a pretty cool spot for set up, which looked out over the venue, and was directly in front of the stage.  I was excited because we were going to be able to listen to the opening band VACO who were sharing the bus with.  None of us had gotten a chance to hear them yet because we were always outside or doors were shut closing us out.

I saw some of my friends that still went to Delaware and they all wanted me to try and get them to meet the band, and get back stage and stuff.  I asked a few people and quickly realized that it wasn’t going to work.  Josh was really nice though and told me that he would clean up for me so I could go watch the show with my friends.  I grabbed three of them that I saw and took them with me to watch the show in some better seats than they were in.  It was fun watching the show with them and they were really appreciative that I got them to some pretty sweet seats.  Delaware definitely had the best turn out so far for a show.  Not only just number wise but also crowd was really into the show, I was proud my Alma Mater represented!

After the show I took Katie back with me to the bus, so she could see our home.  Also it’s really funny but Josh’s cousin Martin Cahill, goes to Delaware, and I was friends with him.  So Martin brought some of our other friends from Delaware back to the bus, including my Caitlin Germain who I had played soccer with and was another good friend a year younger than me.  We had a crowded little bus party, but it was fun!  It was cool to show people what I have been doing, and all my friends were super jealous of my job.  Cahill even was threatening to try and hide on the bus somewhere so he could sneak to Bucknell with us.  Everyone partied on the bus until our driver Dave got back around 1:30am.  We said our goodbyes, and headed off from Delaware to Bucknell.  Josh and I were glad it seemed like my friends and his cousins had a good time hanging out with us.

Overall it was good to hang out with friends I knew, in a very familiar city.  It was weird being back without a few people… shout out to Emily Sammis!  We missed you!  Check out the blog for some pics in a little…

No comments: