Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Final Recap

The Campus Consciousness Tour was an amazing experience for me.  Traveling on a tour bus, with a band, waking up in a new place everyday, sleeping in a bunk, and all the other new things I got to experience, I could never have even imagined doing.  It took some adapting to the schedule and life on the road but it was a life I enjoyed.  It was a very faced paced lifestyle and even though I rarely had to time to sit down and relax, I loved every second of it.  I would rather be extremely busy than extremely bored, and I found myself always wanting to do something to help or be productive. 

The thing I am going to miss most about the tour is the people.  By the end of the trip all 12 of us traveling on the bus felt like a family.  Thinking back on it, for 12 people to live in such a small space and get along so well is pretty unbelievable.  I had gotten to know everyone so well, especially the people from the beginning Vanessa, Erin, Elliott, Josh, it was going to be weird not waking up on the bus with them every morning.  We spent almost a month of our lives together, living in close quarters, which almost forced us to really get to know each other, and we all got along so well.  We all had extremely different personalities too, but meshed together very well.  I definitely have some friends that I will keep in touch with after the tour!

The thing that I personally will take away from the tour is everything I learned about environmental sustainability.  I honestly didn’t know too much about it going into the tour, and being around people that were so passionate about it made me want to be too.  From the first day I realized they were very serious about the issue and after that I consciously made an effort to do everything that Reverb was trying to teach people on tour.  For example, to refill your Sigg water bottle instead of using plastic ones, or every cardboard case that I broke down from sampling I made sure got to cardboard recycling.  One morning I went to get coffee and all they had out were styrofoam cups and it made me think twice about even using it.  Before tour I was concerned about the environment, but was not aware of all the ways I could change little things I did to help it.  After tour I want to read books about it and educate myself more, because the people I was with really inspired me to.  Not only did they inspire me to be more green efficient and conscious, but also motivated me to do things in life you care about.  People like Elliott who converted a school bus to travel on straight vegetable oil and educated people while traveling over twelve thousand miles all over the country.  Vanessa who travels to Central America countries and works with underprivileged communities to help fight hunger and poverty.  Erin who constantly dug through the trash to make sure all that could be recycled was making it to the right place.  They all did these things because they cared deeply about making the world a better place, and they passed these feelings along to me.  I want to be like them and do things that matter, and affect people’s lives.

After speaking to hundreds of people, and telling them about Silk, I was really happy to be supporting a great message.  Traveling with all these people that were spreading the word about their non-profit organizations that were all in their own way helping the environment.  I felt proud to be identified with these companies, and to support a message similar. 

Overall I think it was a huge advantage for Silk to have me on the road with Reverb.  It was a great opportunity to collaborate and provide students and the public with information they would not have learned about Silk if I had not been on tour.  Also a lot of people had questions about the product and I answered everything from what is soymilk to how it's different than regular milk.  I think I did a great job of attracting people to try it, especially people that never would have even thought about trying it.  I also excited a lot of people about how great the company is, and how corporate companies can take an initiative to be green.

Thank you Silk for giving me this opportunity, the trip was a lot of work and a lot of fun at the same.  I loved representing you and would love to do it again.

Thank you Reverb for all the help you gave me on tour.  You really made everything easy for me to do my job, as well as made traveling enjoyable.  The partnership worked out great, and I appreciate your message and all you do to green tours.

Thanks all for keeping up and reading what I had to say.  I know I’m not the most eloquent author, but I enjoyed expressing myself over the course of the tour.  I hope everyone enjoyed my entries and glad you got to experience a little part of what I did over the last few weeks!

Happy Holidays!

No comments: