Sunday, November 9, 2008

University of Southern Alabama

The next morning most of us slept a little later because we went bed pretty late.  I definitely had a fun night, but the show must go on.  One thing I haven’t really talked about is where we shower and do all that kind of stuff.  Don’t worry I have been showering and staying clean.  Each spot has some type of backstage area, with a crew room, a room for the band, and a room for the opening act.  So far we have been parked right near the gym facilities so I have just gone in and asked to use the locker room showers.  I just say I’m there with the band for the show and everyone has been pretty accommodating.  If there is not a separate locker room the best time to shower is right around 10am or 11am when everyone else is unloading the trucks and the band is pretty much still sleeping.

University of Southern Alabama in Mobile, AL was an inside show and we were parked right outside the coliseum.  I couldn’t tell where the campus was but it seemed like we were nowhere near it.  I decided I wasn’t going to go to the town hall forum today because it was Saturday and the school was predominantly a commuter school, so they weren’t expecting too many people to show up.  Also it would be nice to help Josh set up on his birthday, because he usually sets up most of the stuff himself while we are at the forum.  I quickly showered and we set up inside right near the entrance.  It was a fairly easy set up because we couldn’t use the tents inside. 

The concert venue was pretty cool.  It was a basketball stadium but they took out the floor and put the stage close to one of the sides.  Then they had seats lining up right to the stage.  The time always flies by during the day and before I knew it, it was time to meet my volunteers and start the night.  This show, I did notice, that it seemed a little slow.  People’s reactions were slightly less enthused about trying Silk.  As it got closer to the show a steady crowd slowly filed in and we handed out our samples. There wasn’t really a mad rush.  I think I was just a little disappointed because the previous three shows had been so good, that this one was just a little slower.  In the end I reached out to a lot of new people that had never tried it.  It was funny actually one guy went to sign up for the raffle and I told him that it was for the guitar and a year supply of Silk, and he asks, what is that?  I told him its soymilk and then he asks, why would I enter to win a year supply if I don’t even know if I like it?  I told him good news I had a sample right here for him to try.  And let him taste it, he then immediately started filling out his raffle form.  I go, I guess that means you like it, and he smiled and shook his head.  I later caught him coming back for another sample, it was pretty funny.

This show was the last really deep south show.  In general the southern people were really nice.  Each school was very different though.  Samford was very conservative and you didn’t fit in if you didn’t have a polo tucked into khakis with combed over hair.  Georgia Southern had a pep rally before the show, where they had a homecoming court and picked the homecoming king and queen haha my volunteers told me its definitely a southern thing.  Emory was more normal, because it didn’t really feel like you were in the south it seemed like a mix of people from all over went there.  Southern Alabama was more like Samford with a mix of preppy to also almost farmer like, and I saw a lot of boots.

This was also the fourth show in a row and we had a break for the next two days.  We are driving to Nashville, Tennessee and staying there for the night.  It isn’t that far so we were going to get there pretty early in the morning and have the day to spend in Nashville.  I am pretty excited to have some time to relax and also see a new city.  I’ll definitely have to find a nice little place to watch the Giants game at 8:15.  I’m sure we can find a little southern sports bar somewhere…

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend!!  Pictures will follow soon…

No comments: